Caitlin O'Brien's Blog
Coachella is the place people go to show off their wildest styles. The music festival has single-handedly made it appropriate for people to wear flower crowns is public. So it's no surprise to see celebrities rocking crazy boho fashion. However, Kendall and Kylie Jenner may have taken it to another level this year.
The sisters showed up in Indio, CA rocking coordinating looks that combined bohemian, goth and Indian-inspired fashion. Both wore tiny black shorts with different variations of strapless crop tops. Kendall wore a bindi and covered up in a floor length lace jacket, while Kylie added some edge with combat boots and a studded fanny pack.
Kendall seemed to stick with this aesthetic for the entirety of her trip. She also rocked a huge nose ring, connected to her earring, on another day at the festival.
What do you think of this style on the sisters? Hot or not?
Lindsay Lohan stepped out in this musical number in New York recently. The reality star rocked a piano key sparkly shift dress with knee high socks, booties and a blazer. She topped off the over-the-top outfit with a side braid and floppy hat.
Are you a fan of Lindsay's look?
Miley Cyrus is on the cover of yet another magazine. This time, she's gracing the pages of Elle. All that's been released is the cover, so we don't know what sorts of gems are inside this issue. However, we do know that Miley is wearing a Marc Jacobs tunic and pants on the cover. The wardrobe choice is fitting. The pieces are from the designer's latest collection, which Miley is the face of.
Are you a fan of Miley's latest cover?
Free People's latest campaign is gorgeous, genius and a perfect match. Freida Pinto, arguably one of the most gorgeous women in the world, models the brand's clothes in her home country of India. The combination of Freida's beauty, the culture of the country and the bohemian clothes evoke laid back, warm-weather feelings.
There's even a short film that goes along with the ads.
While the campaign takes place in a land far away from the deserts and fields of the season's music festivals, it's clear that this collection will be perfect for Coachella and the like.
Do you think Freida and Free People are a good match?
The latest high fashion trend... lives in a pineapple under the sea? That's right, in it's ever-evolving parody of itself, the fashion world is now getting its inspiration from SpongeBob Square Pants.
Rita Ora rocked a sweater from Moschino's latest collection (you know, the one that also made the french fry phone case that Miley Cyrus loves?), made to look like Mr. Square Pants himself. She even completed the outfit with some spongey looking pumps.
Then, Pharrell rocked a yellow onesie with the cartoon's face emblazoned on it to the Kids' Choice Awards.
On one hand, it's great to see the fashion industry having a lot fun. Because that's what style should really be about, right? On the other hand, it does add to the divide between fashion and wearability. I mean... there aren't too many "real people" who could rock looks like this.
Do you think this trend is hot or not?
Khloe recently showed off her svelte frame in a black high cut swimsuit on vacation in Thailand. The look is similar to the crop top/bodysuit ensemble Miley wore in her "We Can't Stop" video. But, Khloe's in in the opposite color and reps the opposite side of the country.
Both looks are by Stampd, and Miley's "Dope" swimsuit she wore in the video is in the same aesthetic. The sporty, 90s style is very trendy right now, and will probably be all over the place this summer.
So whose team are you on? Miley's or Khloe's?
Nicole Richie never misses a fashion beat. The designer, 32, recently dyed her hair lavender, making it officially the most pervasive trend of the season (everyone at SXSW had purple hair!).
Nicole recently posted a picture of herself and husband Joel Madden on Instagram and her hair and styling makes me so happy it is officially Spring. Nicole's coif is sure to be hairspo for every girl on the planet. She captioned the photo "Springtime Daydream" and she couldn't be more right; It's downright magical! The combination of the whimsical color, the romantic styling, and topped off with a floral crown and formal ensemble is too much for me to take! I want to go to there!
Are you a fan of this look?
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Divergent star Shailene Woodley has had a career most actresses would dream of, but she's anything but the average starlet. Unlike other girls in Hollywood, she's not likely to be taking selfies and doing juice cleanses.
The actress, 22, is Marie Claire's latest cover girl and she goes deep with the magazine. Check out some of the best quotes from the issue.
On being single: “I just haven’t met anyone where I was like, ‘Wow I could definitely see myself spending a season of my life with you.’ I don’t even know if humans are genetically made to be with one person forever.”
- On teenagers at the forefront of entertainment culture: “I think there’s this big rise right now in giving teenagers the worth they have. For so long they were – and still are – depicted in movies and TV shows as codependent whiners or rich, beautiful, diamond-clad daughters or dumb cheerleader types. But teenagers are so smart. I was probably smarter as a 16-year-old than I am today. There is a zest for life that you have at that age that is so beautiful.”
- On putting her teenage years behind her: “For the first time, I feel like I’m entering my womanhood. I’ve decided to take a few months off, just to see who I am as that woman in the world, because I’ve never been able to experience it outside of this industry.”
- On no longer being self-conscious: “My whole life I’ve been so self-conscious about being skinny. And just recently I don’t care anymore. All insecurities are projected because of what you think others are saying about you, but they don’t really matter at all. My only real insecurities in high school were having such long legs and thick hair – things I’m so very grateful for now.”
- On her first kiss: “I was the latest bloomer there ever was. I was still playing with Barbies at 14 and didn’t have my first kiss until 15-and-a-half. He had big, beautiful lips, and I was like, ‘I don’t know what I’m going to do with those.’”
- On George Clooney: “He’s still one of my favorite human beings. The things he talks about in the press, like going to Africa, are about one-thirtieth of the things he does. My mom and George are probably the only two people I’ve ever met who are truly genuine givers.”
- On public attention: “I don’t pay any attention to the fan thing, because I think it’s a very strange culture nowadays. People have always been fans of people, but I can’t relate to any of these girls or boys who scream. It’s idolizing someone you don’t know. None of these people know me…”
- On social media: “The whole social media thing is just a little too weird for me…We’re all such narcissists, and that’s what social media caters to. Our society conditions us to be our own planets, which is great. Independent thinking is so important. But we expect everyone around us to be our moons.”
Future ruler of the universe, Lorde, has teamed up with MAC for a surprising, but actually perfect, collaboration. The singer, 17, has a unique look which combines goth with classic beauty, while at the same time is totally modern.
"I have loved MAC cosmestics since I was a little kid," the Grammy winner said. "I remember saving up to buy my very first Mac lipstick [Snob] at 14, and itw as used by about 20 of my friends! MAC has a very clear aesthetic that has always felt fashion forward to me. So I was really excited to work with them on these products, which I use pretty much every day and night. I hope you will to."
We expect the collection to include lots of dark lipsticks and nail polishes. Lorde's take on beauty should be a fun addition to the makeup world, just like her songs are to the music world.
Would you wear makeup by Lorde?